I have received a lot of feedback from this blog that I am “amazing” or “inspiring”. I would like to be perfectly clear that there is nothing innately special about me that does not exist inside of you too.
I have intentionally been on a spiritual journey of self-improvement for the past 13 and counting years. All of the topics I teach, talk about or blog about are things I have learned and things that I practice on a daily basis. I made a shift in my awareness of life, and you can too!
Here’s what I did: I made a commitment to Love and Happiness. Every day when I wake up, I decide to remain open and positive. I open my heart to positivity and spirituality in all forms, and I close off any ramblings from the “Devil on my Shoulder”, or in Jungian terms, my Shadow. Carl Jung proclaimed that there is a Shadow inside of all of us whose job it is to beat us down. As an open and conscious being, you, and you alone, have the power to mute that voice. If I can do it, so can you, because I am no more special than you are.
Sure, I have moments where I fall off the Happiness Wagon. And guess what? You will too! We all do. Below you will find a list of tricks to help you through moments of self-doubt or fear. These are things that I do and/or things my friends do to pick themselves up when we need an emotional and spiritual boost.
- Call someone who will inspire you. This person should uplift your spirits and not perpetuate any negative emotions you may be experiencing.
- Read something that inspires you: a blog, a self-help book, or an inspirational story.
- Be grateful for all the good things that you have in your life and write them down. You will be surprised at how quickly gratitude can shift your consciousness!
- Go to a yoga class, an exercise class, or a dance class. Endorphins are my drug of choice. They physically make you feel fantastic.
- Watch a funny movie or a comedy special. Laughter really is the best medicine for curing a mopey spirit. And they release those happy hormones that I love so much, endorphins. Yay!
- Retail Therapy is useful, but only if you spend within your means, and you are not shopping to numb your pain.
- Meditate or Pray. Ask for help from whatever higher power you believe in. You can ask God, Spirit, Mother Nature, the Divine, the Unknown, the Universe, or the Force, if you are a sci-fi geek. 🙂 It doesn’t matter what you call that higher power; it will listen.
- Do something or go somewhere that grounds you. Some people prefer to garden, to go for a walk, to dance, to commune with nature. It matters not what you do, it just matters that you ground yourself, and that you connect yourself to something that is bigger than you.
- Look yourself in the mirror and acknowledge how special you are. You, my friend, are one of a kind! To delve deeper into this method, write down the things that you like about yourself. I guarantee you that you rock the mic more than you know!
- Journal about your problems and then proclaim that those issues are now out of your body for the Universe to fix. Journaling is a symbolic way of releasing those worries out of your body and your mind into the larger world, into something that is greater than you are.
- Make Pro and Con lists if you have a decision you have to make. This makes the reasoning process much more manageable. It also makes the problem visual, which mollifies it. I do this all the time!
The bottom line, folks, is that believing that you have the power to change your life is the first and hardest step. Everything after that is just a matter of commitment to that belief, and a commitment to loving yourself. Please let me know how this works for you, or if you have any other tricks to share! And if you know someone who needs to be uplifted, refer them to this blog. It just might help!